Having to work today, I didn't get the opportunity to get out to birdwatch; however, while driving East on Hwy 60 on my way to Sikeston running errands after work, I saw white objects in a recently flooded rice field.

The vegetation was only about five inches above the water's surface making the Black-necked Stilts stand out considerably.

I decided to stop and look the field over (with hopes of Ibis' and/or Whistling Ducks in the back of my mind). In one scan of the field there were at least 35 BNST's with Grackles, Killdeer and RW Blackbirds being the only other visible species. I didn't scan the field a second time - with chores to be done before nightfall, I had to move along.

In case anyone in the area is needing a serious BNST fix, this particular field was on the south side of Hwy 60 and about .5 - .75 mile west of CR 789.

I think I may spend the earlier part of tomorrow morning at Otter Slough and meander my way home via the rice fields. Should anything outstanding occur I will post further information. I also plan to keep a running total of stilts tomorrow morning. I'm a little curious as to how many there could be in the area in a given day.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar
Stoddard CO.

Itís easy to add contacts from Facebook and other social sites through Windows Liveô Messenger. Learn How.