Any chance it could have been a Green Heron?

Leslie Koller
Benton, Saline Co, Arkansas
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">John Hitzeman
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:29 AM
Subject: ID Help - Please

Hi List,

My wife and I were in our kitchen and both just happened to catch
two birds flying across the field behind our house.

This was one of those split-second, corner of the eye glimpses,
that we both caught, but that makes those of us who watch for birds
know that something different had just entered, and quickly left,
our field of view. <G>

The birds were predominantly black, slightly larger than grackles.

Even though we only saw them for a nano-second, we both noticed
what appeared to be a heron-like appearance, "pulled-in" neck in flight
and legs trailing behind.

The lead bird had what appeared to be a red rump, much as a Northern
Harrier has a white rump in winter --- that's the closest comparison
I can think of at the moment. we didn't see any red on the
trailing bird, except for what we both thought might have
been reddish, or rusty colored legs.

If we both hadn't seen the same "similarities", we agreed that we
probably would have thought it was our imagination.

Looking through Sibley and Peterson, the Least Bittern best
fits the size and body shape description -- but the wings and overall
color was really much darker to black.

We live about 16 miles west of the Mississippi and do, occasionally,
see birds "out here" that must venture away from the river for a day's
outing. ;o)

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
John Hitzeman