Mobirders -
I put a 1/4 cup of H2O2 in the fresh water of bird baths once or twice a
season.  We have very little algae growth and the birds still come to the
baths.
We have a nice list already this May/June in fact.
H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide.  I imagine that it adds some oxygen to the water
discouraging the algae to grow.
Our shallow baths just hold probably a gallon or
so each.  So if you had a twenty gallon re-circulating pond then 5 cups or
less H2O2 should suffice.
Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin, Jasper Co. MO.