Hi Rose,

That does seem to be the case from what I've observed.

Apparently, the males will feed together as long as there
isn't a female around that they're competing for.

Last nigh, just before dark, there were quite a few RTH's
around. One male was off courting a female who was sitting in
a tree about 60 feet from the feeder are.

Two males were sitting on one of the feeders, while the third
was doing his big "U" shaped courting flight, chirping loudly
in front of the female.

He broke from his "dance", flew over and chased the
two males on the feeder away, then resumed showing
his affection for the female. In a matter of about thirty
seconds, the two males returned to the feeder.

I have observed, over the past couple of years, what appears
to be an obvious "pecking order" between both males and
females.

Late last summer/early fall, when the males had
already headed south, the females were really stocking up
for their flight. I was amazed at how many were around the
feeders and how big they got. There were several females
who were obviously dominant and would chase the others
away.

I often wondered how much "feeding" they actually managed to do,
as it seemed they spent much more time chasing one another
around. ;o)

John Hitzeman
Troy, MO