Research supposedly supports the preference of mocker females for
males with a wide repertoire.  Perhaps choosing a good mimic means
she chooses a male who is mature, experienced, and intelligent, and
mating with him gives her preferences genetic advantage, as well as
giving his mimicry ability a genetic advantage.  I hope I'm not
butchering an explanation of heritability of sexual attractiveness.
Perhaps a scientist on the list will help out.

June Newman,
Carroll County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/