I arrived at Columbia Bottoms (St. Louis Co) under heavy fog. Walking the road by the equipment shed I came across three Black-necked Stilts flying in and out of the fog and calling to each other. I later found a map and made my way to Pond 2 and saw numerous stilts, some behaving as pairs. A coyote put up a pair of stilts that were otherwise out of sight. I wondered if coyotes would be hazardous to nesting stilts.
There were at least three Least Bitterns at Heron Pond, Riverlands (St. Charles Co.). A Pied-billed Grebe nest is visible there from the road.
On the way home, I saw a pair of Mississippi Kites at the northeast corner of I-270 and Clayton Road.
Mick Richardson
Kirkwood, St Louis Co.