Print

Print


>
>
>"Brisson, Ulrike" <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>>Apologies for cross-listing
>>
>>CfP  Writing the Adventure: The Rhetoric of Peril in Travel Literature
>>
>>40th Anniversary Convention, Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA)
>>February 26 - March 1, 2009
>>Hyatt Regency - Boston, Massachusetts
>>
>>Travel and the dangers of adventure go hand in hand, and yet very  
>>few scholars have thus far drawn a connection 
>>between travel writing  and the rhetoric of 
>>peril as a fundamental trope of adventure  
>>stories and travel literature.
>>
>>This interdisciplinary panel solicits contributions to investigate  
>>how the rhetoric of peril has been employed stylistically in both  
>>fictional and non-fictional travel writing, and how it has  
>>ultimately impacted travel historically, politically, and culturally.
>>
>>Suggestions for possible topics of contributions:
>>
>>  *   the rhetoric of peril as part of a Mentalitätsgeschichte or  
>>history of mentality (what is considered as dangerous is  
>>historically and culturally contingent)
>>  *   the rhetoric of peril as a stylistic tool - the mythical  
>>journey (departure - journey - return); Homeric delight and gaining  
>>knowledge
>>  *   women and the rhetoric of danger and death
>>  *   danger, death and the staging of the traveling subject (e.g.  
>>hero, heroine)
>>  *   political exploitation and the effects of the rhetoric of peril
>>
>>
>>Please send proposals of 200-300 words and a brief CV (approx. 100  
>>words) electronically to Ulrike Brisson, [log in to unmask]
>>
>>Deadline:  September 15, 2008
>>
>>Please include with your abstract:
>>
>>Name and Affiliation
>>Email address
>>Postal address
>>Telephone number
>>A/V requirements (if any; $10 handling fee)
>>
>>The complete Call for Papers for the 2009 Convention will be posted  
>>in June: www.nemla.org <http://www.nemla.org> .
>>
>>Interested participants may submit abstracts to more than one NeMLA  
>>panel; however panelists can only present one paper.  Convention  
>>participants may present a paper at a panel or seminar and also  
>>present at a creative session or participate in a roundtable.
>>
>>*******************
>>The German Studies Call for Papers List
>>Editor: Stefani Engelstein
>>Assistant Editor:  Megan McKinstry
>>Sponsored by the University of Missouri
>>Info available at:  
>>http://www.missouri.edu/~graswww/resources/gerlistserv.html
>>
>
>*******************
>The German Studies Call for Papers List
>Editor: Stefani Engelstein
>Assistant Editor:  Megan McKinstry
>Sponsored by the University of Missouri
>Info available at: http://www.missouri.edu/~graswww/resources/gerlistserv.html
>
>
>Received: from smtp2.stanford.edu (smtp2.Stanford.EDU [171.67.20.25])
>	by po.missouri.edu 
>(8.12.11.20060308/8.12.11) with ESMTP id 
>m569gGlD008318
>	for <[log in to unmask]>; Fri, 6 Jun 2008 04:42:16 -0500
>Received: from smtp2.stanford.edu (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
>	by localhost (Postfix) with SMTP id 064CC65B7E0;
>	Fri,  6 Jun 2008 02:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
>Received: from webmail04.stanford.edu (webmail04.Stanford.EDU [171.67.22.64])
>	by smtp2.stanford.edu (Postfix) with ESMTP id B1DCE65B76B;
>	Fri,  6 Jun 2008 02:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
>Received: by webmail04.stanford.edu (Postfix, from userid 33)
>	id 8EBCE19F3C2; Fri,  6 Jun 2008 02:42:14 -0700 (PDT)
>Received: from adsl-67-121-124-156.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net
>	(adsl-67-121-124-156.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net [67.121.124.156]) by
>	webmail.stanford.edu (Horde MIME library) with HTTP; Fri, 06 Jun 2008
>	02:42:14 -0700
>Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 02:42:14 -0700
>From: Marton Dornbach <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: CfP Writing the Adventure: The Rhetoric of Peril in Travel
>	Literature; 9-15-08 NeMLA; 2/26-3/1 09
>References: <[log in to unmask]>
>In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]>
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain;
>	DelSp="Yes";
>	format="flowed"
>Content-Disposition: inline
>User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) H3 (4.1.5)
>Authenticated-User: dornbach
>X-Originating-IP: 67.121.124.156
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
>X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 
>8bit by po.missouri.edu id m569gGlD008319
>
>Quoting "Brisson, Ulrike" <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>>Apologies for cross-listing
>>
>>CfP  Writing the Adventure: The Rhetoric of Peril in Travel Literature
>>
>>40th Anniversary Convention, Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA)
>>February 26 - March 1, 2009
>>Hyatt Regency - Boston, Massachusetts
>>
>>Travel and the dangers of adventure go hand in hand, and yet very  
>>few scholars have thus far drawn a connection 
>>between travel writing  and the rhetoric of 
>>peril as a fundamental trope of adventure  
>>stories and travel literature.
>>
>>This interdisciplinary panel solicits contributions to investigate  
>>how the rhetoric of peril has been employed stylistically in both  
>>fictional and non-fictional travel writing, and how it has  
>>ultimately impacted travel historically, politically, and culturally.
>>
>>Suggestions for possible topics of contributions:
>>
>>  *   the rhetoric of peril as part of a Mentalitätsgeschichte or  
>>history of mentality (what is considered as dangerous is  
>>historically and culturally contingent)
>>  *   the rhetoric of peril as a stylistic tool - the mythical  
>>journey (departure - journey - return); Homeric delight and gaining  
>>knowledge
>>  *   women and the rhetoric of danger and death
>>  *   danger, death and the staging of the traveling subject (e.g.  
>>hero, heroine)
>>  *   political exploitation and the effects of the rhetoric of peril
>>
>>
>>Please send proposals of 200-300 words and a brief CV (approx. 100  
>>words) electronically to Ulrike Brisson, [log in to unmask]
>>
>>Deadline:  September 15, 2008
>>
>>Please include with your abstract:
>>
>>Name and Affiliation
>>Email address
>>Postal address
>>Telephone number
>>A/V requirements (if any; $10 handling fee)
>>
>>The complete Call for Papers for the 2009 Convention will be posted  
>>in June: www.nemla.org <http://www.nemla.org> .
>>
>>Interested participants may submit abstracts to more than one NeMLA  
>>panel; however panelists can only present one paper.  Convention  
>>participants may present a paper at a panel or seminar and also
>>present at a creative session or participate in a roundtable.
>>

*******************
The German Studies Call for Papers List
Editor: Stefani Engelstein
Assistant Editor:  Megan McKinstry
Sponsored by the University of Missouri
Info available at: http://www.missouri.edu/~graswww/resources/gerlistserv.html