Mark,

As a very general rule, a lot of the larger raptors can live quite long.  Red Tailed Hawks, for example, can easily live to be 50 years old (I have seen some estimates to be 60 years old).  Most studies on Ospreys estimate a life span of about 20 years.  One study in Scotland found a life span of about 20 years, with their record bird living to 25 years.  A study from the Alabama Department of Conservation found almost identical results, about 20 years.

Jim Fossard
Springfield, MO.

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Gutchen
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Request for Help

My nephew (2nd grade) is working on a report on Ospreys for his school class. He is not allowed to use the internet for his research, he is supposed to use books and magazines from the library. Someone told him that ospreys can live for up to 40 years.

Anyone know of any articles or books that have the life span of ospreys?

Mark Gutchen
Columbia, MO