Jane, I live in Kirkwood in a neighborhood similar to yours.  Several years ago, in the spring, I had a small flock of 10-12 Red-winged Blackbirds that stayed around my yard for 2 or 3 days.  Never had them before or after.   Five or six years ago when we put in our backyard pond, the day we filled it with water, there were two Eastern Kingbirds out there, swooping down to the surface of the water.  I couldn't decide if they were after the tiny goldfish we had just put in, or whether they were just bathing in the water.  Never saw them again either.  I love it when these unusual visitors stop by for a while.

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO., MO