Gary Johnson and I spent a half day going for some of the goodies that have
been reported from the above locations. We got some and missed some.

We could not find the Cerulean Warbler at the Platte Falls CA despite
repeated plays of its song. We did have the following 6 warblers there:

Prothonotary
N. Parula
Kentucky
La. Watertrhrush
Y-B Chat
Am Redstart.

We also had 1 Acadian and 1 Alder Flycatchers calling there and Red-eyed,
Yellow-throated and White-eyed Vireos. (We had a 5-vireo day).

We finally found the large cattail marsh on Bluff Road and did hear Least
Bittern there. We played the Sora and Marsh Wren tapes without success.

We did find a Blue Grosbeak on Bluff Road. Also Y-B Cuckoo and a Y-B Chat.
Gary Heard another Alder Flycatcher.

We were not surprised that we were too late for the zooties at Horseshoe
Lake. We were surprised at how many individual shorebirds are still there --
30-40 individuals at one point. Quite a few White-rumped Sandpipers and
Pectoral Sandipers (including Pecs. walking around in the grass on dry
land). Also Lesser Yellowlegs (2), Spotted Sandpiper(1), Semi-palmated
Sandpiper (1) and Killdeer. There was a pair of Blue-winged Teal on the
water and a Pied-billed Grebe at another location.

No Am. Bittern or Ibis.

Lots of Bell's Vireos singing. Also Yellow Warbler, C. Yellowthroat, G-T
Grackle flying.

At Lake Contrary, we found 2 White-rumps, 1 Semi Sandpiper and 1 Forster's
Tern. An adult Bald Eagle flew over.

We finished with 79 species, pretty good for 3.5 hours of birding at the end
of May.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/