From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Jean Leonatti
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 8:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Least Bittern, Mourning Warbler!

This evening I decided to ride my bike to Wetland Unit #2 in search of
the Least Bittern report by J. Pons yesterday.  I arrived at the exact
location he described, and found a flock of about 50 shorebirds -
including 15 Dunlin, 5 Stilt Sandpipers, 3 Wilson's Phalaropes, 4 Lesser
yellowlegs and an assortment of pectorals, baird's and white-rumps.
While I was watching them, the Least Bittern stalked right into view!  I
could hear Blackpoll and Yellow Warblers behind me, but couldn't take my
eyes off the bittern.

Decided to continue around the unit, searching for more mudflats or
other waders.  When I got to the opposite side, on the "woods" side of
the levee, I could see a fluttering of activity near a large fallen
tree.  As I am scanning it with binocs,  out pops a Mourning Warbler -
gorgeous, with the sunlight hitting it full on.  There were also 5
American Redstarts, 2 Wilson's, several Tennessee and too numerous to
count Yellow Warblers, down in this area fluttering all around the
fallen limbs -- and an empid standing SILENT guard over the whole scene.
The Mourning Warbler came back for a second look.  Blackpoll and more
Yellows and Tennessees in the trees above.  About 10 nighthawks flew
over head.  This is about 7p.

As I head back down the trail, I am wishing there was another birder
around to share this with.  And who materializes on the trail but Mike
Warnock --- I share my news with him, and he tells me that he just had a
Black-billed Cuckoo in the willows where the headquarters trail meets
the Katy Trail.  I head in that direction.  Don't find the cuckoo, but a
Blue Grosbeak pops out.

Great evening, I think I'll have a glass of wine!

Oh, I did listen for Moorhen at both #1 and #2, but didn't hear or see
them.  Several Virginia Rails, and lots of Soras calling at #1.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

Checked by AVG.
5/19/2008 5:04 PM