Went out to Otter Slough last night (5/14/08) and found Joe Eades, Jim Malone's & Josh Uffman's Common Moorhen in pool 34 right where they left if glued to the bank. Thanks guys! New state bird!

Also present were about 20+ Semi-palmated Plovers and 2 Caspian Terns. There was an insect hatch last night which was probably the cause for the throngs of Swallows and Purple Martins. A large number of Common Nighthawks was also present in all directions of sight.

I checked the wheat field last night shortly after 8:45 pm and found NO rails calling.

I had planned on waking up early to hit Otter Slough again this morning. In the wheat field, was a Black Rail calling from at least 3 am (when I first noticed it) to 4:20 am when the rains began. I didn't make it back to Otter Slough due to the rain.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar