        I too was just watching the young birds being fed, when a grackle swooped down.. I first thought it was just taking the recently placed food from the beak of a young eurasian tree sparrow. But, no, it was after more.. I guess if I raised and killed the animals I eat, I would be more inured to it. However, my mother, who was reared on a farm, could not eat chicken.
         The only animal outside watching the scene was the resident rabbit.  When I had schnauzers, they were regularly looking for the rabbit's nest to capture the young. I saved some baby rabbits, some opossums, some snakes,  and some birds from them, but not all.

  Jane Allen
  St. Louis County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/