Dear MoBirders,

Michelle and I went Birding late afternoon/early evening yesterday to the
McBaine/Eagle Bluffs Area... Birds of Note to follow:

Wetlands Unit #2 (I Think) or the Unit that is South of the Conservation Office
(4:40 to 6:00)...

LEAST BITTERN - we saw one out in the Open along the cattails, which then
flew across the water into the edge of some other cattails, but was still
visible, later it ran deep into them... The Area that it was in was along the
Katy Trail, just as you Reach the Wetlands Unit there will be a small Clearing
with a Brushpile, walk into the Clearing and up and around the Break/Gap in
the Fence to the Gravel Track/Road that goes around the Unit... Then walk
along the Gravel Track/Road until you come to the Begining of another Fence
Section (at the Post)... Here was where the Bittern could Best be Seen...
There is a Large Group of Cattails (closer to the Katy Trail than to you...)
across the water to your Right (this is where it was to begin with...), then
there is a little bit smaller Group of Cattails to the Left of this - across a
small "Channel" through the Cattails (this is where he Flew to and then
Disapeared into...). Just Scan along the Edge of the Cattails, this is How I
Found the Bittern, it really was Easy with it's Pale Buff Coloured Belly and
Sides... I have a Couple of "Half-way Decent" Photos of it on my Smugmug
Account: - [log in to unmask] -  Just Look at the End of the MARSH &
WADING BIRDS Gallery if you are Interested...

Eagle Bluffs CA (6:15-8:25):

(16-18)  CATTLE EGRETS  -  Flying together along the Distribution Channel
towards the Cormorant Trees, never did See them Land (we were heading out
towards Pool 10...)...

Many Warblers along the River Trail: (1-2) CANADA WARBLER, (1) MOURNING
WARBLER, (2-3) TENNESSEE WARBLER, (25++) YELLOW WARBLER,  (1-2+)
PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, (1) WILSON'S WARBLER, (1) NORTHERN PARULA,
(1-3) MAGNOLIA WARBLER, (4+) AMERICAN REDSTART, (5-7++) COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, (1) BLACKBURNINAN WARBLER (Michelle saw this one - I
STILL Haven't Seen One To Add To My Life List!!!!!), and several others that I
didn't See well enough to Identify...

The Only Shorebirds that we saw were out in the Puddles in the Fields:

(10+) DOWITCHERS (Sp.???), (4-5) LESSER YELLOWLEGS, (12-15++)
SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, (2-3) SORA, (3-4+) Peeps (Little Guys that I could'nt
Identify - Too Far Away...)...

Finally, a Handful of the other Usual Birdies as well... A Beautiful
Afternoon/Evening to be Birding!!! Please Take Care and the Very Best of
Birding to You All!!!

Yours,
Jonathan B. Pons
Boonville, Cooper County