This morning while running on Highway H (also called Boundary Road)
about 1/2 a mile south of the city limits of Kirksville I found a
little grassland birding hotspot by accident and added a couple of nice
birds to my fossil-fuel free list for the year.  First I heard a
Bobolink, then ran along a field where I heard no less that 7-8
Henslow's Sparrows.  There were undoubtedly more, but the combination
of running and having traffic driving by made it tough to say exactly
how many.  I also heard Bobolinks farther down the highway again.

The field(s) where the Henslow's were hanging out runs for roughly half
a mile down the east side of the road--and there was no point when
running by the field that I could momentarily stop and NOT hear a
Henslow's--pretty neat to hear so many, especially given that I was out
at about 11 AM!

Yesterday at Sugar Creek CA in Adair Co. I had a few noteworthy
birds--2 Golden-winged Warblers, 2 Blackburnian Warblers, 2 Olive-sided
Flycatchers, and a possible Veery.  I also found 5 Blue-winged
Warblers.  I will have to revisit the places I've found these BLWA's
around here and see how many stick around for the breeding season.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.