Bubble-head report from Tower Grove Park, St. Louis City, Thursday
afternoon.

I birded the Gaddy, the field to the east, and the area near the
restroom building. Birds were numerous and active yesterday, and good
close looks were easy to come by. One theory was that after two days of
rain, hunger trumped caution.

Warblers: Canada (3), Blackpoll (6), Black-and-White (2), Hooded F (1),
Magnolia (8), Palm (3), Blackburnian (2), Louisiana Waterthrush (1),
Common Yellowthroat (3), American Redstart (10+), Chestnut-sided (7),
Ovenbird (4) (I did not hear of any afternoon sightings of the
Black-throated Blue, Cape May, or Mourning Warblers.)

Vireos: Philadelphia (2), Blue-headed (3), Warbling (1), Yellow-throated
(1), Red-eyed (1), White-eyed (5).

Thrushes: Swainsons (3), Veery (2) (behind Magnolia house garage,
spotted by Joe Eades)

Woodpeckers: Red-headed (2), Red-bellied (1), Downy (1)

Sparrows: White-throated (2), Chipping (5+), Field (1)

Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (4)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (3)

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (3)

Coopers Hawk (2)

Great Crested Flycatcher (1)

Eastern Wood-Pewee (1)

White-crowned Sparrows were singing again this morning in my Shaw
neighborhood back yard. Must have been the rain yesterday that kept them
away.

David Scheu

St. Louis, MO