We walked half of Lost Valley Trail at Weldon Spring Conservation area yesterday (5/10) to do our annual bird count of the area. We went straight at the "Y" and then turned right to follow the trail over the little creek. We followed the trail until we reached the Center Road. We went down the Center Road to the "Y" and back to the Parking Lot. Monday, weather permitting, we will do the other half of the Trail.
Little Femme Osage Creek and the other creeks had ample water but were not in flood. The tree foliage was lush and dense and there is a lot of undergrowth this year. The trail has much more shade than even last year.

The temperature at the start was 15 degrees below last year's and the ending temperature was 17 degrees below last year's. Many of the warblers and vireos were found by sight not by song. It seemed that there was less birdsong but more birds than last year. Perhaps the colder temperatures tend to suppress the song.

Canada Goose                         2
Turkey Vulture                        10
Red-tailed Hawk                       3
Chimney Swift                          7
Ruby-throated Hummingbird      3
Red-bellied Woodpecker           5
Downy Woodpecker                 2
Northern Flicker                       1
Pileated Woodpecker               4
Acadian Flycatcher                14
Olive-sided Flycatcher              2
Eastern Wood-Pewee               6
Eastern Phoebe                       1
Great Crested Flycatcher          3
Barn Swallow                           1
Carolina Wren                          2
Gray Catbird                            3
Gray-cheeked Thrush               2
Swainson's Thrush                 15
Wood Thrush                         19
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher            29
Black-capped Chickadee          4
Tufted Titmouse                     15
White-breasted Nuthatch          1
Blue Jay                                 4
American Crow                        1
White-eyed Vireo                   13
Yellow-throated Vireo               5
Blue-headed Vireo                   1
Warbling Vireo                        1
Red-eyed Vireo                      13
American Goldfinch                  2
Blue-winged Warbler                5
Tennessee Warbler                10
Nashville Warbler                     4
Northern Parula                      15
Chestnut-sided Warbler            5
Magnolia Warbler                    3
Yellow-rumped Warbler            1
Yellow-throated Warbler           1
Cerulean Warbler                     5         Saw 3 heard 2
Black-and-white Warbler           5         Saw 4 heard 1
American Redstart                   3
Worm-eating Warbler               9         Saw 6 heard 3
Ovenbird                                13
Louisiana Waterthrush              4
Kentucky Warbler                   10        Saw 8 heard 2
Common Yellowthroat               7
Yellow-breasted Chat              11
Scarlet Tanager                        5
Summer Tanager                      5
Eastern Towhee                      13
Chipping Sparrow                      1
Field Sparrow                           1
White-crowned Sparrow            1
White-throated Sparrow             2
Northern Cardinal                    10
Rose-breasted Grosbeak           8
Indigo Bunting                         24
Brown-headed Cowbird              5
Baltimore Oriole                        2
Orchard Oriole                          2        1 male 1 female

Paul Johnson
Chesterfield
St Louis County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/