Some nice migrants at Tyson Research Center (St. Louis Co.) today... skip to the end for the interesting birds.

Red-headed Woodpecker, 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher, 1 (my first ever at Tyson)
Least Flycatcher, 1
Blue-headed Vireo, 3
Red-eyed Vireo, lots -- not just local residents, lots of migrants moving around with warblers
Swainson's Thrush, tons for the last week or so, along every road and path
Wood Thrush -- one on the ground below a window :-(

Golden-winged Warbler, 2 1/2 -- singing male, female, and singing hybrid!  (see below)
Tennesee Warbler, 2
Nashville Warbler, 3
Northern Parulas
Chestnut-sided Warbler, 5
Magnolia Warbler, 2
Black-throated Green Warbler, 1
Blackburnian Warbler, 2
Bay-breasted Warbler, 3
Blackpoll Warbler, 2
American Redstart, 4
Worm-eating Warbler, 1
Ovenbird, 1
Louisiana Waterthrush, 1
Kentucky Warbler, 3

Scarlet & Summer Tanagers -- feeding near the ground, lots of great looks...not sure what they were eating
White-crowned Sparrow, 5
Bunting sp. -- also see below
American Goldfinch -- flock of like 60 making tons of noise and feeding together like it's October

Hybrid warbler:  Looked like a typical Golden-winged from what I could see, but a strong yellow wash just below the black bib.  Sang two weird songs too:  "Zeee zee zee zee zee," accelerating and "Zee zee zee zrrrr," the last note kind of like a Blue-winged's last note.  I couldn't get a good look at the top of the bird to see what the wing bars looked like, but this was only by second GWxBW hybrid ever, so it was pretty cool.

Bunting sp.:  I'm about 75% sure it was a female Lazuli.  That being said, I have very little experience with this species (I think I've only seen two females).  But the wingbars were very strong and whitish.  Looking at Sibley now, I didn't think to look for the throat pattern, but this bird was definitely very plain below without any obvious streaking.  It was hanging around a migrant flock too, not in an area I usually see Indigos.  I'm not confident enough to write up documentation, but with these storm systems coming in from the west, this might be a species to keep our eyes open for over the next few days.

Nick Barber
University of Missouri-St. Louis
St. Louis, MO

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO