Spent the morning at Union Ridge CA in Adair/Sullivan counties and had
some good luck.  The marsh was the highlight, with one LITTLE BLUE
HERON putting in an appearance (listed as uncommon, but it's my first
one for NEMO).  Also present were 2 American Bitterns, 4 Soras, one
Virginia Rail, a Green Heron, a couple Dunlins and a smattering of
Semipalmated Sandpipers.  The marsh is in GREAT shape for
rails/herons/shorebirds/any other winged creature that would use a
marsh.

Some highlights of passerine birds include a WHITE-EYED VIREO, Scarlet
Tanager, Blue-winged Warbler, White-crowned Sparrows... Data is on
CACHE, somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 species for the morning.

Unrelated to sightings...

The MDC has burned the entirety of the savannah area bisected by
Highway D where the Henslow's Sparrows have been for the past 3
summers.  They burned the historical spot a few weeks ago (rightfully
so IMO, it was getting really brushy and needed it) but also burned
some of the more recently burned other areas that had the potential to
have Henslow's this year or soon thereafter.  If I'm not mistaken it
seems that Henslow's really prefer areas with at least a couple years
of vegetative succession so we will see when they return.  None were
seen today and I am unaware of any other large blocks of HESP-suitable
habitat in that immediate area.  I mention this because this is the
only place in Adair/Sullivan co's that I've ever encountered multiple
HESP at one location.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair co.

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO