Hello all,

This time of year, I can usually rely on birdsong to alert me to a bird's
presence. But, like Kathleen, I am not hearing much song.  I have a
hypothesis, and I'd appreciate input from others with scientific backgrounds
and experience.

Last year in April, we had 6 nights of 20 degree temperatures which caused
significant setback to the trees.  These record low temperatures were not
just in Missouri, but widespread throughout the midwest.  Foliage was
delayed for 8-10 weeks, trees didn't set seed.  It also must have had a real
impact on the insect populations that the birds rely on. I was concerned
then about the effects on the food supply of seeds, berries and insects for
last fall's bird migration and this spring's, too.

So, my theory is that the birds are arriving quite hungry. They are more
concerned with finding food than singing.

The birds that I have heard singing have been doing so intermittently . The
Tennessees sing, but not in their usual incessant way. Never heard the
Worm-eating, Palm, Black and White, and only a single part of song from
others.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis Co. MO