Report for Sat May 10, 2008

Hi MOBirders:

I traveled up to Ted Shanks CA (Pike County) and highlights for the day were
16 species of wood warbler, including 2 MOURNING WARBLERs and 4 NORTHERN
WATERTHRUSHes, plus many EASTERN KINGBIRDs, INDIGO BUNTINGs and BALTIMORE
ORIOLEs.  I stopped at two bridges along hwy 79 on the way into TSCA -- one
of which crosses the Salt River -- to watch the CLIFF SWALLOWs that have
recolonized them.  In my dreams I was hoping to find a Cave Swallow.  Hwy 79
is closed just south of MO-TT for road repairs, but access to TSCA is
possible via Sandridge Rd (CR-114).  There were few visitors on the area
today, and during most of my time I literally did not see anyone else.  With
all of the precipitation, TSCA looked like the water world of the north
country, with the pools full and many fields marshy.  The Mississippi River
was up to about 8 ft below the top of the levee that protects TSCA on its
eastern boundary.  It seemed like I was pishing all day long, and it proved
productive on several occasions, including even for some of the warblers.

Here's a quick digest of the day list.  Some of these numbers include
individuals seen just outside the CA.

Blue-winged Teal, 2
Ring-necked Duck, 1
Hooded Merganser, 2
Bald Eagle, 3
Broad-winged Hawk, 1
Lesser Yellowlegs, 10
Spotted Sandpiper, 1
Barred Owl, 1
Red-headed Woodpecker, 6
Pileated Woodpecker, 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee, 5
"Traill's" Flycatcher, 1
Eastern Phoebe, 2
Great Crested Flycatcher, 4
Eastern Kingbird, 15
White-eyed Vireo, 2
Yellow-throated Vireo, 1
Warbling Vireo, 9
Red-eyed Vireo, 5
Swallow, all 5 species incl a large flock of Bank
Gray-cheeked Thrush, 1
Swainson's Thrush, 1
Wood Thrush, 3
Tennessee Warbler, 3
Orange-crowned Warbler, 1
Nashville Warbler, 2
Northern Parula, 10
Yellow Warbler, 3
Magnolia Warbler, 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler, 4
Blackburnian Warbler, 2
Blackpoll Warbler, 3
American Redstart, 1
Prothonotary Warbler, 8
Northern Waterthrush, 4
Kentucky Warbler, 1
Mourning Warbler, 2
Common Yellowthroat, 20
Yellow-breasted Chat, 6
Sparrow, 7 species incl 25 White-crowned
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 1
Blue Grosbeak, 1
Indigo Bunting, 100
Dickcissel, 20
Red-winged Blackbird, 200
Eastern Meadowlark, 25
Orchard Oriole, 3
Baltimore Oriole, 16
Eurasian Tree Sparrow, 3

On the way out of TSCA I stopped for something that looked like a swallow in
distress.  There was flopping about on the road as if the creature had been
hit by a car.  On closer examination it turned out to be two Indigo
Buntings, locked together by their bills, in a dramatic fight.  They
separated and one drove the other in a race-car circuit from one side of the
road to the other, back and forth, in front of me.  This went on
continuously for ? until one finally pooped out and they stopped to perch.

102 total species for the day, plus only one wood tick, in my own version of
a non-Big Day big day.

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/