Joe Eades gave chase tonight, meeting me on what was to be a great night for birding. What began to look like rain laiden skies, overcast and dark, gave way to a softer look of partly cloudy skies as the night proceeded. Gentle breezes kept the few mosquitoes at bay.

As if set to an alarm clock, we witnessed the Black Rail begin calling at 9:25 pm on the dot! After spending some considerable time soaking up it's notes and letting them sink in, we walked the property to the treeline that borders the Castor River where we called for a Screech Owl. I had always suspected them there, but until tonight wasn't sure. One (possibly two) Screech Owl was (were) present, as well as a distant calling Barn Owl but oh so very faint.

On our way back out from the property, we again stopped to take in the calling Black Rail. We walked to the other side of the property to listen for the second rail heard Sat & Sun, but only one rail was heard tonight. Once again, no tapes or recordings were necessary for this bird to begin calling! Simply amazing! Congratulations Joe on a Lifer! I bet you could have used this bird last year, eh? Safe travels!

I'd like to this opportunity to say that May 16-19 we are asked not to access the property but will be granted access again on May 20 (should the Black Rail still be present). If you'd like to try for the rail, you'll need to schedule with me around these dates. Many thanks in advance for respecting their rights and wishes.

Good Birding to all as we enter peak migration!

Chris Barrigar

Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
http://www.windowsvista.com/SP1?WT.mc_id=hotmailvistasp1banner
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/