Thanks to Don Hays' post on Friday, Jim Ziebol and I headed for Dutzow today to try to relocate the shorebirds. We must have arrived just after everybody else left because there were no other birders while we were there (roughly noon to 1:00). We found the birds in the last area of water, close to Boone Monument Road. Although the numbers were down from Friday, we still saw some of the birds Don had previously reported:

  Marbled Godwit - 1
  Wilson's Phalarope - 2
  Baird's Sandpiper - 1
  Pectoral Sandpipers - 10+
  Lesser Yellowlegs - 15+
  Greater Yellowlegs - 15+
  Long-billed Dowitcher - 2
  Wood Duck - 1 pair

  Because we didn't know about driving along Bluff Road to the slough, we walked the 1.2 miles from the Katy Trail parking lot. Along the way, we counted about 14 Lark Sparrows, the most I have ever seen in a single location in the St. Louis area. Despite the stiff winds and overcast skies, we saw a fair number of birds as we walked along the trail:

  Wilson's Warbler
  Palm Warbler
  Yellow-rumped Warbler
  Louisiana Waterthrush
  Baltimore Oriole
  Black-capped Chickadee
  Red-eyed Vireo
  White-eyed Vireo
  Warbling Vireo
  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
  Indigo Buntings
  Goldfinch
  White-crowned Sparrow
  White-throated Sparrow
  Lark Sparrow
  House Wren
  Barn Swallow
  N. Rough-winged Swallow
  Tufted Titmouse

  We had a very nice lunch at the diner next to the Katy Trail parking lot. The home made potato soup was delicious.

  Driving east on Hwy. 94, we made a quick stop at Lost Valley Trail. Not far from the trailhead, at the concrete bridge, we turned right onto the grassy trail. About 100 yards in, we were rewarded with good looks at a singing Cerulean Warbler (male), along with a Wood Thrush and a Great-crested Flycatcher.

  Yvonne Homeyer
  St. Louis

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO