From: "chris barrigar" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 9:41 PM
Subject: Bluebird Nest Box Mysteries - no sighting

I am hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on my nest box
occurances of late.

Two weeks ago, I checked my 4 Bluebird boxes and found that one had 4
Bluebird eggs in a nest.

I was out of town last week, and upon return Sunday, I noticed the
surprising chatter and calls of a pair of Chickadees in the yard. As our
house sits in the middle of open farm fields and pastures with no mature
trees around, I was surprised to see two C. Chickadees coming and going from
one of the previously vacant bluebird boxes.  I checked the box they were
beginning to occupy, and they had about 2 inches of moss/lichen debris
already in the bottom. "Wohoo", I thought!

Tuesday afternoon/evening,  . . . no cheerful banter of chickadees could be
heard throughout the yard. I stood back and watched awhile as a pair of
Bluebirds sat vigile in limbs over the "chickadee's box". Puzzled, I decided
to take a peek in there again. Not even a sliver of moss/lichen was in the
box?! However, there was evidence on the ground below of what I thought
could be a possible eviction.

With this I decided to check the other boxes (which I had not visited since
before my business trip). When I got to and opened the box that held the
eggs, I expected to be greeted by hungry cries of young. Nope, nothing was
there - only faint remnants of nest material. I couldn't even find nest
material on the ground under or around this box.

This is my first year watching Bluebird boxes; therefore I have no
experience to draw upon to explain the one bluebird nest with 4 eggs having
vanished. Will Bluebirds carry there eggs and nest to another site/box? Why
would they remove their nest materials if they were to move nest sites? I
would think that if a predator had happened upon the nest either only the
eggs would be gone and nest left intact, or at least I would expect the nest
to be left in shambles with material strewn about.

Then there's the question with the Bluebirds sitting over the chickadee's
box. I feel that this was an eviction by the bluebirds, but why did the
chickadee's use of a vacant box bother them? Did it stem from their nest box
incident?

If you have an idea or even mere speculation, I welcome responses either
privately or to the list if you feel others would benefit.

Thanks in advance, and Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Make i'm yours. Create a custom banner to support your cause.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Contribute/Default.aspx?source=TXT_TAGHM_MSN_Make_IM_Yours
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/