On Saturday (May 3), Linda Williams and I ran a Big Day route running
from the Four Rivers / Schell-Osage / Taberville Prairie CA area
(Bates, Vernon, and St. Clair counties) up to Bob Brown CA and Squaw
Creek NWR (Holt Co.).

It was a very enjoyable day and we found some good birds, but we ran
into a few setbacks. Our attempts at pre-dawn biding were mostly
foiled by strong winds (20 mph), and morning warblering was doused by
temperatures that refused to get up above 50 degrees. We failed to get
on any good flocks of migrants and primarily picked up summer-resident
warbler species only.

By evening the winds had died down a little, but we didn't find the
shorebird diversity we had hoped for at Squaw Creek. Snow Goose pool
was nearly empty with the exception of a Willet and a small flock of
peeps (and yellowlegs, of course). Variety had seemed better at Bob
Brown, but many of the shorebirds were in bad light and we rushed
through there trying to get to Squaw Creek. I'm certain we could have
picked up a few other species (rails, moorhen, screech-owl) on the way
home, but we decided to call it a day at sunset.

We ended up with 158 species for the day, birding from 2:30 a.m. until
8:30 p.m.

Highlights:

-- Caplinger Mills Park (Cedar Co.)

Pine Siskin - 2

-- Schell-Osage CA (Vernon/St. Clair Co.)

Hudsonian Godwit - 13
Sanderling - 5
Fish Crow - several vocalizing

-- Bob Brown CA (Holt Co.)

BLACK-NECKED STILT - 1 in distribution channel
AMERICAN AVOCET - 2
Hudsonian Godwit - 20+

-- Squaw Creek NWR (Holt Co.)

Canvasback, Redhead, Lesser Scaup
Eared Grebe - 1 (Pelican Pool)
American Bittern - at least 3 vocalizing, 1 seen
WHITE-FACED IBIS - 9
MERLIN - 1
Common, Forster's & Black Terns

Kristi Mayo