Two trips to Lincoln County in two days.

Saturday: Cathy and I participated in the BK Leach (Ellsberry, MO) rail
survey with the St. Louis Audubon Society. Unlike last year, all our
data points were wet, and the vegetation was sparse. We saw and heard
two American Bittern and numerous Sora, but none of the other survey
targets (rails, Least Bittern, Common Moorhen).

3 Marsh Wrens.

2 Grasshopper Sparrow.

1 Dickcissel.

2 Spotted Sandpiper.

Swallows (Barn, non-Barn. Hard to tell in the twilight).

71 American White Pelican.

Northern Shoveler, Blue-Winged Teal, Gadwall, Lesser Scaup, Mallard.

Eastern Meadowlark.

American Coot.

Pied-billed Grebe.

Swamp, Savannah Sparrows.

Killdeer, with clutch of 3 speckled eggs in corner of headquarters lot.

Sunday: A friend and I kayaked Sandy Slough (Winfield-Foley, MO). With
the water up we were able to paddle all the way up to Foley Access. We
took several detours through the trees, and even kayaked on (over?)
Sandy Slough Road for part of the trip. It was a perfect day - cool and
overcast, a bit of rain, but absolutely no wind. And it was very birdy.
The trees were full of warblers and vireos, and the open water was thick
with swallows. The water was high enough that while paddling under the
bridge out to the lock, we were close enough to read the little house
numbers on the Cliff Swallow nests.

4 Caspian Tern.

Blue Grosbeak.

Baltimore Oriole.

Lincoln's Sparrow.

Eurasian Tree Sparrow.

Tree, Barn, Cliff, N Rough-winged, Bank Swallow.

Yellow, Prothonotary, Nashville, Tennessee, Palm Warblers, American
Redstart, Common Yellowthroat.

White-eyed, Red-eyed, Warbling Vireos.

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher.

Pileated Woodpecker.

Double-Crested Cormorant.

Great Egret.

Great Blue Heron.

Spotted Sandpiper.

Solitary Sandpiper.

Eastern Phoebe.

David Scheu

MOBirds-L list co-owner

St. Louis, MO

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO