Hi everyone,

Interesting day here.  As of 1:00 pm, I had 44 species. Highlights:

Vesper Sparrow - the bird was scuffling with other sparrows under some honeysuckle at the back edge of the yard.  It flew up to a branch where I was able to study it for a bit.

Worm-eating Warbler - about 10 am, I had just walked away from the digiscope when I saw a Palm Warbler heading to the bubbler.  I went back through the house, and looked again.  The Palm was gone and in its place was the Worm-eating.  This is species #103 at the bubbler.  Dan got to see it well, too.

I managed to get a couple good photos. They are here:  http://margy.smugmug.com/gallery/2760609_xx5Dr#285950346_4mQ2j

Pine Siskins- two feeding in the swampy thicket and on the ground near the deck. I haven't seen one for 8 days, so they were a bit of a surprise.

Pileated Woodpecker- often heard, but haven't seen one in the yard for a couple years. A vocal male flew in to one of the two largest white oaks. My camera battery died, Dan got me a new one and I got one photo of it in an ash tree next door.

Others of note:

Louisiana Waterthrush
Northern Waterthrush
Nashville
Tennessee
ETS - saw new family has fledged from front lightpole
Red-breasted Nuthatch
E. Phoebe - a pair now
Gray Catbird
E. Towhee- at the brushpile
Indigo Bunting - one male
Brown Creeper
Blackpoll- heard
Yellow-throated and Warbling Vireos - heard a couple times only
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - drinking nectar from Virginia Bluebells

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis County, MO

Questions or comments? Email the list ownwers:
mailto:[log in to unmask]