We began in TGP at the Gaddy Garden.  For some reason very few birds other than White-throated Sparrows were singing, but there were good birds.  We had Golden-winged and Blue-winged Warblers, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Nashville, Palm, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were numerous.  Sparrows included Chipping, White-crowned, and Field.  There were Warbling and Blue-headed Vireos, Gnatcatchers, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  Brown Thrashers, Gray Catbirds, and Eastern Towhees were in the garden.  There was a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird perched in the garden.  There were at least two non-singng Empids, but they could not be identified.  At the Cypress circle we added Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrushes and Black and White Warbler.
We then went to Horseshoe Lake in Granite City Illinois.  On the Rt. 111 side there were many birds along the north side of the lake.  The best were Prairie, Palm, Parula, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.  There were two Forster's Terns flying at the north end of the lake and a Caspian at the Borrow Pits.  There were many swallows including Bank and Rough-wings over the lake.  There were Mallards, Shovelers, and Blue-winged Teal in the various ponds.  The Bishoff road area was unproductive.  At Cahokia mounds there were Little Blue Herons and ducks.  In the parking lot fields near the Barrow Pits we found a few Bobolinks by walking out into the field.  There were also plenty of Snipe and Savannah Sparrows in the fields.  We then went to Columbia Bottom.  We found a few shorebirds along the gravel road including both Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, and Willet in among the corn stalks.  While we were watching the Willet, a Peregrine Falcon flew by and then soared high over the fields.  Near the confluence we found a Lincoln's Sparrow, Indigo Bunting, Parula and Tennessee Warbler, and Orchard Oriole among other birds.  We also heard Black-throated Green and Sora at Columbia Bottom, but could not find them.
David Becher
Saint Louis

Canada Goose
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Blue-winged Teal
Wild Turkey
Northern Bobwhite(heard only)
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Green Heron
Little Blue Heron
Snowy Egret
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Sora (heard only)
American Coot
Killdeer
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Ring-billed Gull
Forster's Tern
Caspian Tern
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Empid species
Eastern Wood Pewee (heard only)
Blue-headed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Purple Martin
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Rough-winged Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Brown Creeper
White-breasted Nuthatch (heard only)
Carolina Wren (heard only)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Blue-winged Warbler
Golden-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler (heard only)
Prairie Warbler
Palm Warbler
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat