We went to Little Creve Coeur Lake this morning. We parked near the old ball fields and walked the road through the marsh. Then we walked on the west side to the bike path to where we could overlook the marsh. We saw the following species:

Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Mallard
Red-tailed Hawk
Wild Turkey                                  displaying
Northern Bobwhite                         several calling, flushed 2
Sora
American Coot
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper a total of 5
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
House Wren
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Tufted Titmouse
American Crow
Fish Crow
Warbling Vireo
Tennessee Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler                            there were a lot, perhaps 20
Northern Waterthrush                a total of 4
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle

Construction crews are beginning the extension of Maryland Heights Expressway so there was heavy equipment removing some trees and grading a portion of the old driving range. They were also temporarily re-routing the bike path onto the highway shoulder while they build an underpass for the Experssway extension.

Paul Johnson
Chesterfield
St Louis County