I too saw Yellow-rumped Warblers litterally covering some areas of the gravelled back roads around Lake Contrary this morning. Joining them on the road were some Field, Harris's, White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows. I had never observed this behavior of warblers and sparrows before. Other sparrows seen while driving around were: Chipping, Vesper, Lark, Song and many Savannahs.

  The "dry" Horseshoe Lake which is now a "wetland area" once again, held some good birds this morning. The star of the show was once again a GLOSSY IBIS. I counted up to 18 ibises at one point which were out in the more open pools of water. They tended to disappear into the taller vegetation in the area and then re-appear. Many Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, some Dunlin, some Long-billed Dowitchers and Killdeer were keeping company with the teal, Gadwall and Northern Shovelers (and ibises).

  There were a few waterfowl of ten (10) species still hanging around on the various oxbows south of Saint Joseph.

  Today, I got my FOY Eastern Kingbird.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO