I enjoyed Earth Day yesterday roaming around some of the places where we will be having fieldtrips to for the Spring ASM meeting - IF they are not all completely under Water! We had hoped it would not be as dry as last couple years - well it's NOT, there is MUCHO water - too much right now. Hope it goes down some by first of May. Anyway Spring Migration has broken loose now with all kinds of birds finally showing up in North Mo.

   Some of the species seen at Fountain Grove Ca, Pershing SP, and Swan Lake NWR -
  Ruddy Duck - 12
  White Pelican
   DC Cormorant
  PB Grebe
  N. Harrier
   Bald Eagle
   Sharp-shinned Hawk
  Red-shouldered Hawk
   Broad-winged Hawk
  Upland Sandpiper - actually two of these almost hit my vehicle along Hwy36!
  Spotted Sandpiper
   Pileated Woodpecker - watched one fly to a nest cavity
   N. Flicker - pair at nest cavity a few feet below The Pileated!
   Red-headed Woodpecker - quite a few
  Whip-poor-will - watched one fly up and land on horizontal limb
  Great-crested Flycatcher
  Eastern Kingbird- several
  Loggerhead Shrike
  Kingfisher
  White-eyed Vireo
   Yellow-throated Vireo
  Warbling Vireo
   Blue-headed Vireo
   House Wren
   Ruby-crowned Kinglet - many singing
  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Many
   Northern Parula
   Yellow-rumped warbler - everywhere
  Prothonotary Warbler
  Chipping Sparrow - Numerous
  Clay-colored Sparrow - one at Swan Lake
  White-throated Sparrow - lots
  Field Sparrow - many singing all around
  Lark Sparrow
  Swamp Sparrow
   Savannah Sparrow - several
  Purple Finch
  plus other usual suspects - and lots more to come!

  Myrna Carlton was at Crowder State park yesterday and was excited with all the birds and Wildflowers she saw there!  She also saw a Peregrine Falcon west of Chillicothe. Myrna went to Squaw Creek NWR today - don't have her report yet - but she told Dianne it was really good birding there - many shorebirds and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and - Baby Bald Eagles! She is having computer problems so not able to post at this time.

   I had my FOY Yellow Warbler at Thompson River Wetland this am and FOY Ovenbird a few miles north. There were 11 Great Egrets at TRW also.

  Don't delay - Send those Registrations in NOW!

   Later,
   Steve Kinder
  Chillicothe, Livingston Co.

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO