These have become very quiet in backyard.. Think the birds are nesting, and stuff. Took a walk on Grant's trail around the Sappington House and east behind my house.
     Near Sappington house, on returning from the Big Bend intersection, found a Wilson's snipe on the paved trail (had not been there on the way out). It seemed newly deceased, no movement. I had seen a red-tailed hawk soaring over Father Dickson's cemetery near there.  Maybe it had slipped out of some talons. But, it gave me an opportunity to look at it closely. I have usually seen it's back as it flew up and away.
     I enjoyed the song repertoire of the brown thrasher and northern mockingbird (birds were visible).   Otherwise, usual regulars.
     I heard some rustling under bush behind my fence on the trail, heart went "thump", and out comes two rabbits.  No towhees of any sort.
     I had promised myself I would get down to Tower Grove Park in the mornings  during the migration, as some of my birding buddies do., but alas, I am in need of some excuses.. How about saving gas, spring cleaning?   when one needs an excuse, any one will do.. so I will settle on saving gas.

  Jane Allen
  St. Louis County

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO