A few people were able to see the Curlew Sandpiper yesterday at the refuge.
Doug Willis said it was the first bird he looked at when he stopped.  It was
a lifer for him.  When I arrived it was resting in the cattails and was
almost impossible to see even near the road.  The dorsal color of the bird
seemed to be the same as the dead cattails.  The mottling on the breast just
helped conceal it even more.  Seven other species of shorebirds were feeding
all around it and their colors and patterns were far more visible.  I
watched it for over an hour while it preened, fed and rested.  A Peregrine
flew in and caused it to fly further away from the road.  It was relocated
later, however.
A big flock of Avocets were on the moist soil unit which received several
inches of rain from the recent storm.  Bobolinks were calling beside the
road there.  More warblers arrived at the refuge.
I heard a Black-bellied Plover call, but I never saw it.

Tommie Rogers
Rock Port, MO

Questions or comments? Email the list ownwers:
mailto:[log in to unmask]