The Truman State ornithology class (I serve as a TA for the field
portion) had a great day today at some local spots.  The highlight was
a single SANDHILL CRANE flyover at Thousand Hills State Park.  This
bird is probably long gone, as it simply flew over and never looked
back.  There were also 10 WILLETS at the swimming beach (may stick
longer).  A brilliant BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER (seems early for these
northern parts?) was hanging around in the pines near the petroglyphs.
There was a BEWICK's WREN in some brush near the lake shore near the
point.  There was also 1 Bonaparte's Gull and 1 Franklin's Gull at the
lake--this was actually my first FRGU for Adair co.  Other new arrivals
were Warbling and White-eyed Vireos.

We also had 1 Bobolink in some pasture north of town and a single
Horned Grebe (also a first for Adair co. for me) near the dam at the
north end of Hazel Creek reservoir.  All the data will be on CACHE
later.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair co.

Phil Wire