I would only make one slight correction to Laura's narrative ---  Linda
Williams was not present, nor did she get photos of the bird we watched fly
in and were all hooping and hollering about.  That bird eventually flew
around the bend again;  and later another bird returned and landed directly
behind a Ring-billed Gull.  There was some speculation it might be the Mew
Gull returning for the third time; but no one could get a definitive view of
it because of its position relative to the other gulls.  Jonathan went
around the corner to try to get photos of the second bird;  we started back
up toward the car, and met Linda Williams on the way down the hill.  On
Sunday, she only got photos of the "hidden" second gull which indeed turned
out to be a Ring-billed - her photos on Sunday were not of the earlier
sighting that all present (better gullers than me included) felt was the Mew
Gull.

Regarding the muddy appearance of one Columbia birder --- well, let's just
say in the her haste to get down to the lake, "someone" had a hidden piece
of barb wire fencing reach up and grab her pant leg and flipped her
unceremoniously face-first, spread-eagle onto the muddy corn field.  A
rather rude baptism for my brand new binoculars out on their first chase!
Bounced up and kept on going.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO