This is a reminder posting of this year's rail survey at B K  Leach in which
the St. Louis Audubon Society is helping the Missouri Department of
Conservation determine the number of rails and certain other birds that use
the new wetlands at this conservation area.

Many of you have participated in the B.K.Leach Rail Survey the last three
years.  With your help we have provided valuable data to establishing the
presence of breeding Rails in the Bittern Basin and Kingıs Lake areas of
B.K.Leach. Because the area was so dry last year, Brian Loges, the manager
of B.K.Leach for MDC, has announced new dates for this yearıs survey which
will allow us to perform the survey during wetter times.  This will also
include one migratory date with the potential for a much greater  variety of
 species.

 The dates are all Saturdays:  April 26, May 31 and June 14. .  Please
 reserve as many of these evenings as you can to help with this valuable
work.  The surveys are conducted in the evening from about 6:00 pm ­ 9:00
 pm. Weıll start the April date at 4:30 p.m., We'll take 45 minutes or so to
review last year's results and run through a refresher on data collection
and the bird calls.   Brian would like to have everyone at the first
observation point by 6:15.  We can do water, chips, and deli sandwiches
again for the first date. For the later dates we can meet at 6:15.  We'll
always meet at the area headquarters. Same as last year, we'll have to
cancel in the event of rain or high winds.

Please contact Brian or John Solodar  to sign up to participate and/or if
 you have any questions or comments.  Particpants will be sent electronic
versions of the calls by e-mail so that they can practice ahead of time.
 Brian Loges
Wildlife Management Biologist
P.O. Box 201
Elsberry, Mo 63343