We went to Busch CA and Lost Valley on a warm, mostly sunny Thursday to try to beat the leafing out of those tall trees.  A partial list follows:

  At Busch:

  Yellow-throated Warbler surprised us at T entrance across from Hampton Lake - very cooperative (Thanks, Richard)
    (apologies to Paula and Grace who had preceded us to HQ meeting place and missed it)
  Chipping Sparrows and White-throated Sparrows on path to bridge long loop of Fallen Oak trl
  Fish Crows
  Tufted Titmouses/mice
  White-breasted Nuthatch
  Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
  Am Goldfinch
  Yellow-rumped Warblers
  Red-bellied Woodpecker

  At Lost.Valley:

  More Y-T's, Chippers, Titmice, Gnatcatchers, Goldfinch and Rumps. Red-bellieds and...
  N Parulas
  E Towhees
  E Phoebes
  Tree Swallows - at marshy area w beaver dams (our turnaround point)
  E Bluebirds - same spot
  Red-headed Woodpecker - same spot
  Turkey Vultures along ridges
  Brown-headed Cowbirds
  White-eyed Vireos - several singing and one across from big bend of creek in low tree on return--a very brightly-colored individual
  Louisiana Waterthrush - heard chips and song on way to marsh and a few birders had brief looks, several songs heard but only sure of two birds
  One LA-Waterthrush was just missed on return, captured on digital by Les who joined us late

  Back at Busch:

  Phoebe nesting in usual spot under pavilion at Archery
  Great-horned Owlet standing in nest and parent in nearby tree near Lake 8 (tip from Jim
    Ziebol 2 wks earlier)
  Red-tailed Hawk
  Red-shouldered Hawk heard (or Blue Jays)
  N Cardinals both areas
  Ruby-crowned Kinglets both areas
  more Louisiana Waterthrushes and a Northern Waterthrush seen by Richard Coles and...
  almost everyone's First of Year Prothonotary Warbler at Wetlands end of Lake 33 in swampy area at beginning of trail to former 19th century bridge over Dardenne Creek.  Thanks to Richard and Les for patiently getting almost all of us on these birds.

  It was great to be out on our first Thursday in ages with no rain or snow.  May there be more!

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO