Out here in the woods in West St. Louis County, I had several first of the
season birds this morning: Worm- Eating Warbler: singing and moving from
tree to tree in the forest. An Ovenbird singing but unable to track it down.
A single Great Crested Flycatcher making lots of noise and already looking
over cavities in dead trees.
I have had Gnatcatchers, Parula and YT Warblers around for several days now.
Also more YR Warblers than in past years.
I also have 2 Bluebird houses with 5 eggs in each. One box has a chickadee
nest with 6 eggs. I had a pair of E. Phoebes build a complete nest on my
garage light fixture, only to tear up their nest and are now building a new
one in the rafters under our deck. I have seen gnatcatchers do this, but
this is a new one for me with phoebes.
It's exciting to have all this activity going on all at once.
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County

--
Diane Pierce
home: 636.458.1892

ASM Spring Meeting ... May 2, 3, & 4, 2008 at Chillicothe, MO