If, as I expect it will, MBRC accepts the Mew Gull record, the Missouri
checklist will have 19 species of gulls on it, as also do both Iowa and
Minnesota. After doing some googling, I was surprised to learn that these
interior states have the same number of gull species on their checklists as
my home state, New York, which has enormous advantages in garbage dumps,
ocean, shore, bay, lake, great lake and river habitats and the Niagara
River, not to mention several times as many active birders. We have more
gulls on our checklist than Connecticut (16), New Jersey (18) (best garbage
dump state anywhere!), Virginia (16) and Maryland (12). North Carolina,
Florida and Ohio also tie us with 19 each.

Unless I have missed an unexpected state, the only states that beat us are
California (26), Oregon (21), Washington (23), Texas (21), Colorado (21) and
Illinois (22). I would have thought Kansas had the advantage with the
Wichita landfill (now closed), but it trails with 17, as does Nebraska with
18. Oklahoma has 15. Michigan has 18. Louisiana has 14.

I personally have seen 19 different species of gulls within a half day's
drive from my home -- i.e. leaving home and returning the same day. (I did
not chase the Black-tailed Gull in Iowa and was recovering from a heart
operation when the Glaucous-winged Gull showed up at Riverlands, or my list
might be larger).

If you want to see different gulls, stay right here! You are already in the
right place.

BTW, I'm curious to know how many species of gulls have been seen at
Riverlands? Thomas Hill Reservoir?

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/