All well said--both the article and Mr. Flicker's statement.  But...

Is National Audubon actively lobbying to stop the fence?

Where was National Audubon when the fence was just beginning to be
planned?

This is our "voice"--well, one of them, along with Sierra Club,
National Wildlife Federation, and the many member-competing
organizations.

Are those to whom we pay dues to express our collective knowledge and
will to politicians using those dues for that purpose, or are they
paying rent on Manhattan offices with it?

We can write/call/email representatives individually, but our
collective voices must be heard, too--not just moaning and groaning
among ourselves, but with forceful, directed, purposeful discussions
by our organizations with national politicians.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO