Carrol, what you say is true only when thinking proceeds from one horn of a dilemma to other; duality can be transcended even while opposites exist on the dialectical level.

Frankly I am surprised that you define detachment as indifference; you ignore the non-attachment implication of the word. Just as disinterestedness is not uninterest, detachment can provide a locus from which to regard one's attachments. Isn't that what Eliot achieved in the 4 Qts?

Diana