In a message dated 01/04/2008 17:40:11 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
The discussion about legal use of quotations is timely since the
listserv has received a stern letter from the estate informing us that
not only quoting lines from the poetry but also the titles of poems
must cease.

We are seeking clarification from the estate as to why referring to
titles does not in its view constitute fair use. They apparently feel
that even the briefest quotation of poetry needs permission from the
estate and the payment of fees.

Until we settle the issue, please refer to poems only in abbreviated
form. For example, T** W*** L*** or P******K.

T. Materer
List Owner
TSE
Possibly the dictum implicit in the landmark case of Arkell v Pressdram ought to be robustly emphasized here. ;-)

Regards

David