Not if you're God. D.

Isn't the absolute unknowable?
P.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From:
  Chokh Raj

  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:38
  PM
  Subject: Re: THE LINE ABOUT THE BURGLAR
  AND THROWING MEAT TO THE DOG

  Diana,

  To me what Eliot meant was truth in relation to or
  in the light of or
  in the perspective of the Absolute. Looked at from other
  angles,
  a poem may mean many different things -- but looked at from
  the angle of the Absolute, it would tell of a truth which
might
  be at variance with other truths. Maybe Eliot was more
  inclined to look at things in this perspective.

  Now what is Absolute ?  To me it stands for a truth that
  is
  timeless and universal. Please mark that line in the epigraph
  of 'Burbank' that means : Only the divine endures, the rest is
  all smoke. Or that notion of the "still point" in the FQ.
  Or whatever the Thunder's message is in TWL. Or the
  one implied in the title The Fire Sermon. Or that line
in
  Ash-Wednesday about time being only time, and what is
  true is true for only one time and one place only.

  I wonder at Eliot's proclivity towards this notion of the Absolute
  figuring almost constantly -- it seems to be the pivot around
  which his poetry revolves.

  Perhaps it is this "absolute truth" that Eliot desired his reader
  to perceive in his poems -- it is one of the truths, though --
  all others equally valid in their own rights.

  And this above all -- I'm modest in my opinion --
  and this is an absolute truth too ;-)

  It's 11.30 pm. And we're still not past All Fools Day.

  Cheers!

  CR

Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]>
  wrote:
  Were
    such a thing to exist, wouldn't the poem be the
    source?

Best,
Marcia

Diana Manister wrote:
> Dear CR:
    Presumably Eliot felt the author would be the source of that

    "absolute meaning?" Diana

  You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one
  month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Checked by AVG.

  6:21 PM