Possibly, but presumptions are dangerous.
The author may not be able to account for the full meaning.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:22 AM
  Subject: Re: THE LINE ABOUT THE BURGLAR AND THROWING MEAT TO THE DOG

    Dear CR: Presumably Eliot felt the author would be the source of that "absolute meaning?" Diana

    Incidentally, Eliot once explained (to Philip Mairet, 31 October, 1956; the collection of Violet Welton) that, even if a poem meant different things to different readers, it was still necessary to assert its 'absolute' meaning. [Peter Ackroyd, T.S. Eliot: A Life, p.80]

    CR

    Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
      Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
        While trying to find the line about the rhythmical grumbling, I chanced on another instead--the line about distracting the reader that was queried earlier:

        "The chief use of //the 'meaning' of a poem, in the ordinary sense//, may be (for here again I am speaking of some kinds of poetry and not all) to satisfy one habit of the reader, to keep his mind diverted and quiet, while the poem does its work upon him: much as the imaginary burglar is always provided with a bit of nice meat for the house-dog."

        It is in the conclusion to THE USE OF POETRY AND THE USE OF CRITICISM (1933;London: Faber and Faber, 1964), 151.

        //I hope whoever was looking for it gets this.//
        Nancy

      Of course, those who look for it "in the ordinary sense" get this, and this only.

      CR

      OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends: Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t

    OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends: Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t