In a message dated 26/04/2008 17:08:37 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
David, one of the best I've read by Heaney. But what's "scouse" ??? Diana

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:11:00 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Wordsworth Trust
To: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 26/04/2008 15:52:17 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
David I always picture you in a context of sylvan beauty -- your message proves I am correct, even to your family of origin! If you don't understand why I say that, if you made one visit to any of the boroughs of New York city my meaning would become perfectly clear. Cheers! Diana
Well, there's certainly big contrasts environmentally - right here although exquisite Lakeland valleys lie just around the corner  we also cower in the sinister shadow of a vast and deadly radioactive dump [Sellafield] beside an ocean and shore polluted for eternity by its invisible but deadly discharges. As Seamus Heaney once put it:-

Beyond Windscale and Moyle

That sank in the North Channel

Now nuclear poisons

re-anglicize a sea

that is yours and mine as well

our saint-crossed whitecapped, scousecursed

swan-road and path of exile

become a dump for waste………

A colloquial term for the esteemed  and usually unmistakable natives of the fair city and seaport of Liverpool, Diana !

As in

What is the difference between a cow and a tragedy?
A scouser wouldn't know how to milk a cow.

Why did audiences scream so loud at Beatles concerts?
The shock of seeing four scousers working.

What's the difference between a Scouser and a coconut?
One's thick and hairy, and the other's a coconut.

Regards

David
Regards

David