[log in to unmask] writes:

David,  one of the best I've read by Heaney. But what's "scouse" ??? Diana

____________________________________
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:11:00 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Wordsworth Trust
To: [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] writes:

David I always picture you in a context of sylvan beauty -- your  message
proves I am correct, even to your family of origin! If you don't  understand why
I say that, if you made one visit to any of the boroughs of  New York city my
meaning would become perfectly clear. Cheers!  Diana

Well, there's certainly big contrasts environmentally - right here  although
exquisite Lakeland valleys lie just around the corner  we  also cower in the
sinister shadow of a vast and deadly radioactive dump  [Sellafield] beside an
ocean and shore polluted for eternity by  its invisible but deadly discharges.
As Seamus Heaney once put  it:-

Beyond  Windscale and Moyle
That  sank in the North Channel
Now nuclear  poisons
re-anglicize a  sea
that is yours  and mine as well
our  saint-crossed whitecapped, scousecursed
swan-road and  path of exile
become a dump  for waste………

A colloquial term for the esteemed  and usually unmistakable  natives of the
fair city and seaport of Liverpool, Diana !

As in

What is the difference between a cow and a tragedy?
A scouser wouldn't  know how to milk a cow.
**************

Why did audiences scream so loud at Beatles concerts?
The shock of  seeing four scousers working.

What's the difference between a Scouser and a coconut?
One's thick and  hairy, and the other's a coconut.

Regards

David
Regards

David