David, one of the best I've read by Heaney. But what's "scouse" ??? Diana

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:11:00 -0400From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Wordsworth TrustTo: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 26/04/2008 15:52:17 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
David I always picture you in a context of sylvan beauty -- your message proves I am correct, even to your family of origin! If you don't understand why I say that, if you made one visit to any of the boroughs of New York city my meaning would become perfectly clear. Cheers! Diana

Well, there's certainly big contrasts environmentally - right here although exquisite Lakeland valleys lie just around the corner  we also cower in the sinister shadow of a vast and deadly radioactive dump [Sellafield] beside an ocean and shore polluted for eternity by its invisible but deadly discharges. As Seamus Heaney once put it:-

Beyond Windscale and Moyle
That sank in the North Channel
Now nuclear poisons
re-anglicize a sea

that is yours and mine as well
our saint-crossed whitecapped, scousecursed
swan-road and path of exile
become a dump for waste………

Make i'm yours.  Create a custom banner to support your cause.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Contribute/Default.aspx?source=TXT_TAGHM_MSN_Make_IM_Yours