Poor Dorothy Wordsworth

Margaret Drabble looks at the dark side of Dove Cottage - the "shadow story" of the real relationship between William and Dorothy and how it may have inspired Wuthering Heights.

"When I read Dorothy’s accounts of her love for William in the Grasmere Journals I am moved in the same way as I am by Catherine Earnshaw’s description of her love for Heathcliff . . . and it is through Wuthering Heights that the peculiarity of [their] relationship can best be understood. Powerful in both cases is the elusive, visionary nature of what each woman is straining to define, her hunger for twinship with the one she loves . .  her confusion about where she ends and he begins."

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_enPoor Dorothy Wordsworth

This article will also inspire gratitude for modern dentistry! Diana