Thanks for sending this, both because it is actually about Eliot and because it raises the increasingly important question of religious responses to the earth.  Significantly, many evangelicals now support greater focus on the need to act as stewards of creation.

Nancy

>>> robert meyer <[log in to unmask]> 4/22/2008 4:32 PM >>>
"We are being made aware that the organization of society on the principle
of private profit... is leading both to the deformation of humanity by
unregulated industrialism, and to the exhaustion of natural resources, and
that a good deal of our material progress is a progress for which
succeeding generations may have to pay dearly....  [A] wrong attitude
towards nature... implies a wrong attitude towards God, and that the
consequence is an inevitable doom.  For a long time we have believed in
nothing but the values arising in a mechanized, commercialized, urbanized
way of life: it would be as well for us to face the permanent conditions
upon which God allows us to live upon this planet."

TS Eliot, 1939
from: "The Idea of a Christian Society"