I would assume that almost any subscriber to this list, including me,
would be jolted and shocked by the idea of eliminating German from the
curriculum of the university. But not every university can teach every
language, or even every "major" language (whatever that might mean. The
reactions to this announcement from USC resemble the shocked horror of
classicists over a century ago when their fields began to be replaced
with English, French, & German! And despite my own deep personal regret
at never having learned Greek, I can't really say that its disappearance
from most curriculums represents any threatened collapse of human
society.

Warr3n & Wellek remark in passing that if, when Kittridge retired in
1936, Eliot had been appointed head of the Harvard English Dept. many
would have roared that standards would have been lowered. They would
have been changed, which is not uite the same.

Carrol